It's the 2008 Gay Holiday Quiz...
For the answers, click on the link at the end of the quiz. And then check out this web site for all the great work PA Diversity Network is doing for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Community
1. Gay actor Robert Reed played the dad in a somewhat plotless yet often parodied 1988 TV reunion Christmas special. Name the special:
2. In “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946), what lesbian actor, who was later a TV grandma in a 1970s drama about the depression era, got a kiss from George Bailey when she asked for $17. 50 from the Savings and Loan? For extra points, name the character she played on the TV drama.
3. Sultry singer of the sexy song, “Santa Baby,” and portrayer of Cat Women on Batman in the 1960s ________, died on Christmas Day, 2008 at the age of 81.
4. On December 12, Hollywood film actor ________, who also portrayed “The Minstrel,” a villain on 1960s Batman, died at the age of 92. His ex-wife Eve stated in her memoir that their "MGM arranged" marriage was a front to cover his gay sexual orientation.
5. “Meet Me in St. Louis” (1944,) featured Judy Garland singing, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.” Name the bisexual director of this film whom Judy later married.
6. Will and Grace dress up as characters for a theater sing along of what movie musical classic, that Grace says is being attended by every gay man in the city.
7. In the 1947 version of The Miracle on 34th Street, what is the last name of the lawyer who defends Kris Kringle?
8. Judy Garland sings the line, “So be jolly, have a holiday as GAY as holly,” in the movie ____, which is a remake of “Shop Around the Corner” and a pre-make of “You’ve Got Mail.” (Question 4 also starred in this movie.
9. On Ellen who did Hot Toddy turn out to be?
10. In the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas" what is given on the tenth day?
11. Character actor Monty Woolley played the title character in the Christmas-time comedy, “The Man who Came to Dinner” (1942), the Professor in the Christmas classic, “The Bishop’s Wife” (1947) and Col. Smollett in the Christmas-tearjerker, “Since You Went Away” (1944). Before becoming an actor, Monty Woolley was a Yale professor whose student, GLBT composer ______, talked him into going with him to Hollywood.
12. Monty Woolley’s character Sheridan Whiteside in “The Man Who Came to Dinner” (1942), was reprised for a limited Broadway performance of the play (in 2000), by openly gay actor _____.
13. “White Christmas” (1954) star Danny Kaye was rumored to have had at torrid sexual relationship with what English and later Hollywood actor?
14. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” was remade into a full length movie by Director Ron Howard, but the much darker cartoon version from the original Dr. Suess book was directed by Bugs Bunny animator Chuck Jones. In what decade was this cartoon made?
15. In “It‘s a Wonderful Life” (1946), name the two male characters who sing “I Love You Truly” outside George and Mary’s window, followed by one of the guys kissing the other. Hint: They share the names of Sesame Street puppet roommates who were outed by the religious right as a gay couple.
16. In “Babes in Toyland” (1934), aka The March of the Wooden Soldiers, what well known actor who was part of a comedy duo, dresses as a veiled woman to fake Silas Barnaby into a phony marriage... then later cries that he can’t stay with Barnaby, because: “I don’t love him!”
17. Name the Christmas Carol that features the line: “...make the yuletide gay....” ?
18. Name the Christmas Carol that features the line: “Don we now our Gay apparel!”
19. In the movie "The Christmas Story," Ralphie receives a bright pink _____ costume for Christmas.
20. The 1947 French movie version of Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bete) starred what extraordinarily good looking and well known to be gay French actor?
21. The surrealist artist and director of La Belle et la Bete ______, was the "long time companion” of the star of the movie, who played “la Bete.”
22. This actor was an early boyfriend of Harry Hay, the Los Angeles Communist and radical who founded America's first large-scale gay activist organization, the Mattachine Society. The actor also played St Nicolas on a two episode "Eight is Enough", but missed starring in the "The Homecoming - A Christmas story," because Edgar Bergan played grampa in that pilot. However, this actor did play grampa during the regular show. (For extra points, name the TV show for which "The Homecoming - A Christmas Story" was the pilot.)
23. The Christmas special that starred Neil Partick Harris was called:
24. The special, “Perry Como Christmas in the Holy Land” (2001), was narrated by openly Gay actor ____ who made his name on early TV as “Doctor Kildare.”
25. In the Will and Grace episode - “A Little Christmas Queer,” Will's nephew ___ wants to put on a show. Jack encourages him by saying, "We'll make an opera cape out of...well...your opera cape."
CLICK HERE FOR THE ANSWERS